Posts for tag: braces
Would you rather live with misaligned teeth than wear metal braces? In the past, metal and ceramic braces were the only choices if you weren't happy with your smile. Although the braces got the job done, they weren't necessarily the most comfortable or attractive option. Today, many people who swore they'd never wear traditional braces are happily straightening their teeth with clear Invisalign aligners. Center City Philadelphia, PA, dentist Dr. Steve Gilbert and Dr. Carlos Velez of Gilbert Dental Care are your dentists for Invisalign treatment.
What is Invisalign?
"Wires," "brackets" and "adjustments" are three words you'll never hear when you choose to straighten your smile with Invisalign. The system uses clear, removable aligner trays that resemble nightguards or sports mouthguards. The aligners place constant, gentle pressure on your teeth, which slowly improves their position. You'll receive an entire series of aligners at the beginning of your treatment and begin wearing a new set of aligners approximately every two weeks.
Invisalign aligner trays should be worn about 22 hours per day and must be removed when you eat, drink and brush your teeth. You can even leave the trays at home occasionally if you're planning to attend a special event or have a big game.
Invisalign is an excellent choice for both adults and children
Whether you're a teenager or your teenage years are long behind you, you can benefit from Invisalign treatment. It offers an effective way to correct crowding and spacing issues, mild to moderate bite problems and shifting that can occur with age. If you begin treatment as an adult, you may only need to wear Invisalign aligner trays for about a year. Teenagers generally follow the same schedule no matter what type of orthodontic treatment they choose.
Although no adjustments are required with Invisalign, you'll need to visit our Center City office occasionally for follow-up visits. For your convenience, we offer both before- and after-work appointments. We open at 7 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and are available until 6 p.m. on Monday and 7 p.m. on Tuesday.
Transform your smile with Invisalign! Call Center City Philadelphia, PA, dentist Drs. Steve Gilbert and Carlos Velez of Gilbert Dental Care at (215) 972-0406 to schedule your appointment.
What your dentists in Center City Philadelphia want you to know
You’ve probably heard a lot about Invisalign, the revolutionary, virtually invisible way to straighten your smile. You’re wondering if Invisalign will work for you too. The truth is Invisalign is a great choice for just about everyone, whether you are a teenager or an adult. Your dentists at Gilbert Dental Care in Center City Philadelphia, PA want to share the facts about how Invisalign can help your smile.
Invisalign is fast becoming the most popular way to straighten teeth. There are many good reasons for its popularity. When you compare Invisalign to conventional orthodontic treatment, Invisalign is:
- More comfortable because there are no sharp wires or brackets to injure your lips and cheeks
- More cosmetically beautiful because Invisalign appliances are smooth, clear plastic and are virtually invisible to wear
- More user-friendly because you can remove them to brush and floss your teeth normally
- More convenient because you can remove them to eat the foods you love without getting food caught in your braces
Invisalign can also correct many of the same alignment and positioning issues as conventional braces, including:
- Overbite and underbite
- Crossbite and open bite
- Overlapped and crowded teeth
- Gapped and unevenly spaced teeth
When you choose Invisalign you will be given your first set of appliances called aligners. You wear these for two weeks and then move on to another set which you wear for another two weeks. You continue to move to a new set of aligners every two weeks as your teeth gradually and comfortably move into correct position. The entire Invisalign process takes between 9 and 15 months.
Imagine having a straight smile in just a few months, compared to years with conventional brackets and wires. Chances are no one will even notice you are straightening your teeth because Invisalign is clear and discreet. You deserve to discover the magic of Invisalign virtually invisible orthodontic treatment for yourself. Call your dentists at Gilbert Dental Care in Center City Philadelphia, PA today to learn more about Invisalign!
Have you started orthodontic treatment recently? Are you having a little trouble getting used to your braces? If so, you are not alone: Everybody goes through an adjustment period during which they momentarily wonder if they’ll really ever get used to this. Don’t worry — you will! And we’ve never heard anyone say, on the day their braces come off and their new smile is revealed, that they aren’t glad they went the distance. Just ask Houston Rockets all-star center Dwight Howard, who discussed his own orthodontic treatment in a recent interview.
“I’m sure I was no different than anyone else who has ever had braces,” he told Mediaplanet. “At first I hated them so much… That changed once I got used to them and I actually grew to love them.” What’s Howard’s advice? “Do exactly what your orthodontist says and know that the outcome is well worth it in the end.” We couldn’t agree more! Here are some tips for wearing braces comfortably:
- Hard & Chewy Foods: If you love fresh fruits and vegetables, that’s great; there’s no reason to give them up, just the really hard ones. You don’t want to bite into an apple or carrot or any other hard foods like bagels and pizza that have any “size” to them. Small pieces may be ok as long as they can’t bend your wires. Chewy, sticky candy should really be avoided completely. Same with soda, sports drinks and so-called energy drinks because they contain acids that promote tooth decay and can cause a lot of damage around the braces.
- Effective Oral Hygiene: Keeping your teeth clean is more important than ever, but also more challenging than ever. It’s easy for food to get stuck under wires and around brackets, but failing to remove it can cause tooth decay, gum irritation and soreness. Therefore, the cleaner your teeth and your braces are, the healthier you will be. Use interdental cleaning brushes and/or a floss-threader to get behind your wires. A mouthrinse can also help strengthen teeth and keep bacteria in check. If you have any questions about how to clean between your teeth, please ask for a demonstration at your next visit.
- Pain Relief: Some soreness at the beginning of orthodontic treatment is normal. To relieve it, you can use an over-the-counter pain reliever and/or a warm washcloth or heating pad placed on the outside of the jaw. If brackets or wires are rubbing against the inside of your cheeks or lips, try applying wax to these areas of your braces. If this does not offer enough relief, we may be able to trim the end of a poking wire. Call us if you need help with this.
Our goal is to make your orthodontic treatment as comfortable as possible on the way to achieving your all-star smile. If you have questions about adjusting to braces, contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can learn more by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Caring for Teeth During Orthodontic Treatment.”
How Invisalign can give you the look you want
Have you been told you should get braces and find yourself dreading the experience? You don’t want to put up with the unsightly look of metal brackets and wires. You also don’t want to wear braces for years, putting up with food catching on your braces. Well, now you don’t have to put up with conventional brackets and wires. There’s a new, state-of-the-art, virtually invisible way to straighten your teeth. It’s called Invisalign, and your dentists at Gilbert Dental Care in Philadelphia, PA want to help you discover why you will love what Invisalign can do for you.
Invisalign is revolutionary and different from any other method of orthodontic treatment. Now, thanks to modern technology and materials, you can have a straight smile much more comfortably and discreetly than ever before. Your dentists in Philadelphia want you to know the many benefits of Invisalign treatment such as:
- Virtually invisible treatment, because Invisalign appliances are clear plastic, not metal
- Unsurpassed comfort, because there are no sharp metal parts to irritate soft tissue
- Increased convenience, because you can remove the appliance to brush and floss normally
- Greater satisfaction, because you can eat the foods you love without worry
Your dentists in Philadelphia begin your Invisalign treatment with creating your first set of Invisalign appliances, called aligners. You wear these aligners for two weeks and then switch to another set. You change aligners every two weeks as your teeth gradually move into position, comfortably and easily. After about nine to fifteen months, your treatment is complete. That’s it! That’s all there is to a straight smile!
If your teeth are overlapped, crowded, widely spaced or your bite is poorly aligned, Invisalign is the treatment custom-made for you. Invisalign can give you the look you want, quickly and easily, with no unsightly metal showing. People will notice your smile and not your braces.
So if you are asking yourself, “Do I have to get braces?” a better question is, “Can I have Invisalign please?” You will love Invisalign treatment and the results you will achieve. You deserve a straight, beautiful smile. It’s time to call your dentists at Gilbert Dental Care in Philadelphia, PA and find out what Invisalign can do for you. Call today!
From playing rough contact sports to avoiding awkward or embarrassing social situations, there are many reasons for people to avoid or put off getting traditional metal braces. However, you can straighten your teeth discreetly using Invisalign’s system of clear aligner trays from your Philadelphia, PA dentists at Gilbert Dental Care.
What is Invisalign?
Similar to traditional braces, Invisalign uses pressure placed onto the teeth to move them into their desired positions. Invisalign patients wear a series of comfortable, clear aligner trays in succession until treatment ends. The trays are switched for the next in the series every two weeks to slowly move the teeth. Small tooth-colored bumps called attachments affix to the teeth to pinpoint the tray’s pressure points and allow some teeth to move more or less than others.
What can Invisalign treat?
Invisalign treats many common orthodontic problems, such as:
- crooked or misaligned teeth
- overlapping teeth
- overcrowding and undercrowding
- open bite
Invisalign is recommended for teenagers and adults. While Invisalign is suitable for most orthodontic cases, extremely crowded teeth or severe bite problems may need more aggressive treatment.
The Invisalign treatment
To begin treatment, your Philadephia dentist takes 3D molds of your mouth and sends it to Invisalign’s dental laboratory. There, a lab technician creates a video which shows the exact route that the teeth take on the way to their final positions. Once the video is approved by your dentist and you, work begins on designing and customizing your aligner trays. The lab sends your trays to your dentist, and your treatment begins.
Your Philadelphia dentist recommends you wear your aligner trays at least 22 hours a day. The extra two hours accommodate for time spent eating or brushing your teeth. You may remove the trays for these activities or special occasions like prom or a speaking engagement. However, your results depend directly on your commitment to wearing your aligners. Be sure to always remember to put your trays back on.
For more information about Invisalign in the Philadelphia, PA area, please contact Dr. Steve Gilbert & Dr. Carlos Velez at Gilbert Dental Care. Call (215) 972-0406 to schedule your appointment today!